Aalesund, Norway, May 13, 2019 — Horizon Maritime is pleased to announce that the intake of the former Bourbon Arctic has been finalized. Now sailing under the name Horizon Arctic, the vessel is one of the most technically versatile multi-function offshore support vessels in the world.
“The Horizon Arctic takes its place alongside Horizon Maritime’s growing fleet of harsh environment vessels, and we are delighted that this state of the art ship is available to help our customers face the challenge of operating in the North Sea, the Barents Sea and beyond,” said Sean Leet, CEO of the Horizon Maritime companies.
Built at the Vard Brattvaag shipyard in 2016, the Horizon Arctic boasts a roster of exceptional features:
- Up to 307 tonnes of bollard pull and class-leading winch capabilities
- Environmentally-friendly Clean Design class notation
- Low resistance hull shape and fuel efficient diesel electric/hybrid propulsion system
- High ice class hull for arctic conditions
- 24 meter beam designed for stability and flexible deck use
- Outstanding operational stability as evidenced by completion of more than 180 days of Remote Operated Vehicle (ROV) operations in the harsh Barents Sea in 2018
- Special Purpose Ship (SPS) notation and large, high standard accommodations for 60 persons
The acquisition of the Horizon Arctic also marks the launch of the newly incorporated Norwegian branch, Horizon Maritime Offshore AS, headquartered in Aalesund, Norway. The new venture is led by General Manager, Borge Nakken, an industry veteran and former Chief Operating Officer of Farstad Shipping.
Nakken stated, “The Horizon Arctic has a demonstrated track-record of providing incomparable value. The vessel has been on term contract since delivery and maintains an outstanding performance record; most notably an exemplary safety and environmental result.” Nakken is supported by Senior Technical Advisor, Kaare Jostein Larsen, an experienced maritime technical expert who has worked with Horizon Maritime since 2016.
The Horizon Arctic was recently dry docked at the Westcon shipyard in Floro, Norway where the vessel was painted in Horizon Maritime colours and officially renamed. The vessel immediately returned to work and has a full schedule for the foreseeable future.
About Horizon Maritime: Horizon Maritime is originally a Canadian company with deep experience in harsh environment marine and offshore operations. With locations across Canada, the company has also expanded internationally to help solve the unique challenges of the global ocean community in harsh environment regions. Built on a foundation of exceptional people and modern equipment, Horizon Maritime brings innovative solutions and provides industry leading marine services to its customers.
Jill Pitcher at +1 (709) 754-9614 ext. 8642 | [email protected]